DURHAM, NC – Officials from five local governments near the Shearon Harris nuclear plant, and three watchdog groups, asked for a federal investigation into possible wrongdoing by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission involving the top safety issue at the nation’s reactors. They say the NRC is ignoring its own safety regulations – and criticisms by numerous fire science experts – while attempting to bring scores of nuclear plants into compliance after over two decades of regulatory failure.
See the links below for the complete press release and supporting documents.
Attachments to Delaying with Fire:
- Chronology of Shearon Harris Fire Protection
- News & Observer, Nuclear plants keep watch, 1992
- Partial List – Fires at Progress Energy Plants
- Inside NRC on 1989 Major Fire at Shearon Harris
- Shearon Harris Licensee Event Report, October 28, 2005
- Local Manual Operator Action Steps
- New York Times, NRC ponders rule change