NC WARN is a 30-year-old 501c3 nonprofit organization tackling the accelerating crisis posed by climate change by building people power for a swift North Carolina transition to clean power, and by promoting energy and climate justice.
NC WARN is a member-based nonprofit tackling the climate crisis – and other hazards posed by electricity generation – by watch-dogging Duke Energy practices and building people power for a swift North Carolina transition to clean, renewable and affordable power generation and increased energy efficiency.
In partnership with other groups, and using sound scientific research, NC WARN informs and involves the public in key decisions regarding their health and economic well-being. Dedicated to climate and environmental justice, NC WARN seeks to address the needs of all of the public by intentionally including those often excluded from participation because of racism, sexism, classism, and other forms of oppression.
The Urgent Climate Crisis
- Climate change is devastating millions of people around the world, especially people of color and low-wealth communities who are least responsible for causing the climate crisis. Climate change is very close to moving past a point of no return, accelerating under its own momentum no matter what humans do.
- Unchecked, climate change would lead to a different planet for which human life is not adapted.
- NC-based Duke Energy is one of the world’s largest corporate electric utilities and one of its biggest polluters.
- Through legal and regulatory challenges and direct appeals for cooperation, NC WARN and allies are vigorously pressing Duke Energy to join – or at least stop impeding – the clean energy revolution.
- That shift could be pivotal in averting a runaway climate-economic-social catastrophe.
- We’re turning the tide, but must quicken the pace. That’s why we need you! Join today!