This campaign is over, but you can learn more about it below.
2015 Campaign: Complaint to Attorney General Cooper
2015 Campaign: Green Jobs Petition to Gov. McCrory
Why “Emergency”? An Explanation of Climate Urgency
Duke Energy’s radical corporate practices are fueling the climate crisis and polluting our democracy.
- Many politicians and state regulators are captives of Duke Energy, coddling corporate executives on coal ash and rubber-stamping their “build plants, raise rates” business model.
- Duke plans to build 15 large, expensive climate-busting natural gas power plants in the Carolinas – and a huge pipeline from the fracking fields to our North just as it is becoming clear that fracking gas is twice as bad for the climate as coal.
- Scientists warn of worsening weather extremes and that sea levels could rise 9 feet by 2050.
- Duke Energy is on a collision course with economic, geologic and climate reality.
- Clean, affordable energy and a stable climate are within reach – if an informed public demands leadership instead of accepting politicians who are captive to corporations.
Here’s how YOU can stand up for climate protection:
- Urge NC gubernatorial candidates Pat McCrory and Roy Cooper to stand up to the state-protected monopoly Duke Energy and help slow climate change.
Ask them: Who will be a governor for the people?
Tag your posts: #StandUpToDuke and #ActOnClimate
- Press candidates at campaign events: Will you stand up to Duke Energy?
- Call on the news media to foster debate on North Carolina’s duty to help slow climate change. Write a letter to the editor when you see an article about the election that does not mention climate or an article about climate that does not mention Duke Energy.
- Support NC WARN and other nonprofits fighting for clean energy and climate stability.
Extreme weather and rising tides are harming millions and approaching a chaotic tipping point.
Charlotte-based Duke Energy is the nation’s largest climate-polluting utility.
North Carolina has a moral duty to demand a governor who is a leader – not just a politician.
Climate change is not a drill. Get in the game and urge all your friends to do the same!