DUKE ENERGY TALKS about solar energy, but keeps forcing dirty, expensive power plants on North Carolina. DUKE ENERGY BRAGS about several new solar farms in North Carolina. But Duke’s renewable power commitment is a pathetic 4% in 2029.In reality, DUKE ENERGY IS TRYING TO DESTROY our growing solar industry to protect its “build plants, raise rates” business plan and monopoly control. DUKE ENERGY IS STALLING hundreds of large-scale solar projects, and wants to pay customers far less for the solar power they put onto the grid.
Watch and Share!
Our 30-second satirical TV ad exposing Duke’s green-washing.
Why Does Duke Energy Hate Solar?
Solar power helps everyone by eliminating the need for new power plants and Duke Energy’s ongoing rate hikes, while creating thousands of North Carolina jobs.
But rooftop and large-scale solar reduce Duke Energy’s profits from dirty power plants. So Duke is trying to stop paying a fair price to solar-generating customers who contribute clean power to the electric grid.
The messaging in NC WARN’s first round of ads accusing Duke Energy of trying to kill solar in NC rang true and was proved during the initial stages of hearings held at the Utilities Commission in July. See below for more information on our hard-hitting legal and media campaign.
- Original 30-second satirical TV ad on why Duke Energy hates solar*
- “Truth: Rooftop Solar Capacity Benefits all Ratepayers” — Commentary from Renewable Energy World.com
- Greenpeace blog post from March 11, 2015 on “Duke’s Dirty Business Plan to Slow Down Solar”
- “Does Duke Energy Think You’re Stupid?” print ad
- Press release describing this second round of our “Duke Hates Solar” campaign
- More background on Duke’s attempt to kill solar at the Utilities Commission
- Stand up for Solar! flyer
- NC WARN’s white paper detailing our “Duke Hates Solar” charges
- More reasons we say: Don’t Let Duke Squash Solar in NC
- “NC WARN runs ad criticizing Duke Energy’s approach to solar power”, Charlotte Business Journal, December 11, 2014
- “Duke Energy commits $500 million to N.C. solar power expansion,” Triangle Business Journal, September 15, 2014
- NC WARN response to Duke solar announcement
- “NC Solar Industry In Jeopardy If Utilities Get Their Way,” WFAE, July 24, 2014
- “Solar Energy in North Carolina: Gone in a Puff of Smoke?” Creative Loafing Charlotte, July 8, 2014, featuring insight from NC WARN Executive Director Jim Warren.
It’s our decision to make: MORE COAL ASH SPILLS or SOLAR SPILLS?
* Thank you to our friends at Presente (Presente.org) for inspiring the video script.
NC WARN, a North Carolina climate justice watchdog, and Friends of the Earth, a leading environmental organization, began legal action today to ban the pervasive influence spending by Duke Energy in a case with national ramifications for climate change, electricity rates and corporate control over government and civic leaders.
See coverage in Facing South
NC WARN today began running a hard-hitting TV and online ad in all major media markets across North Carolina. The goal is to counter Duke executives’ pervasive deception by going straight to people across the political spectrum. SEE ALL Duke's 15-Year Plan POSTS