Utilities are poised to drive up power bills with investments in new power plants. Families can protect themselves with conservation, energy efficiency and rooftop solar.
“By 2030 the US can save 25-31% of electricity use through efficiency and conservation.”
– National Academy of Sciences
Energy efficiency cuts energy use and will leave more money in North Carolinians’ pockets. Everything you do to improve your home’s energy efficiency saves you money year after year. You can’t make a better or safer investment.
- Energy Efficiency Could Cut US Energy Use 30% by 2020, 88% by 2050
- North Carolina’s Energy Future: Electricity, Water, and Transportation Efficiency
- NC Has Great Potential for Offshore Wind Power
Pursuing new nuclear and coal-fired power plants will increase our power rates in North Carolina – possibly doubling our current rates. Electricity rates might increase even with a swift move to clean energy, but not as drastically, and overall power bills can be protected if we are efficient with our energy usage.
There are many actions you can take at home and work to reduce our collective demand for energy, including:
- Turn off and unplug appliances and chargers when not in use.
- Weatherize your home to keep heated/cooled air from escaping.
- Upgrade to energy efficient appliances (when needed) and lighting (now).
- Turn down the thermostat in the winter a few degrees and up in the summer.
- Play with your family outside rather than spending time in front of the TV or computer.
- Support NC SAVE$ ENERGY.
To make an even stronger impact, become politically active to combat the influence of corporate lobbyists and monetary funds over our “wounded democracy.” See NC WARN’s Money Link section for articles revealing the political influence the electricity utilities can have.