NC WARN is a member-based nonprofit tackling the accelerating crisis posed by climate change – along with the various risks of nuclear power – by watch-dogging utility practices and working for a swift North Carolina transition to energy efficiency and clean power generation. In partnership with other citizen groups, NC WARN uses sound scientific research to inform and involve the public in key decisions regarding their wellbeing.
Modest increases in efficiency-conservation, renewable energy and cogeneration can allow the phase-out of all existing coal-fired power plants in North Carolina.
This shift is North Carolina’s primary way to help slow climate change.
It will also rebuild our economy by creating thousands of clean energy jobs, as is happening in other states and countries.
We must cancel licensing efforts for new nuclear power plants.
- They are not needed.
- Pursuing them is diverting time and money from genuine climate protections.
- North Carolina’s power companies are impeding clean energy advances so they can justify costly new nukes – while shifting the huge financial risks to customers.
The NC SAVE$ ENERGY campaign is a key vehicle for this transition.
We pursue this work through grassroots activism, technical analysis, legal challenges, and media exposure of problems and solutions.
NC WARN is tackling the accelerating crisis posed by climate change. We must replace energy from coal and natural gas with energy efficiency and clean power generation as quickly as possible
In partnership with allies, including Greenpeace, AARP-NC, the NC Housing Coalition and the NC Justice Center, NC WARN is working to change Duke Energy Progress’ business model of building unneeded, expensive power plants and repeatedly raising our electricity rates
Duke Energy Progress is now the largest electricity corporation in the United States. Shifting it away from fossil fuels could be the global game-changer humanity needs to avert runaway climate catastrophe
How You Can Help
- Create a conservation ethic at home, work, school and regarding your transportation.
- Stay informed on energy/climate issues and share your thoughts with others.
- Cut back on meat consumption, especially from factory farming (a very energy-intensive system).
- Devote a little time to help NC WARN and our allies change pro-polluter policies.
- Support front-line activists with money and encouragement.
- Sponsor an NC WARN discussion at your civic group.
- Urge public officials at the local, state and federal levels to support clean energy measures and oppose subsidies for more nuclear and coal.