NC WARN is seeking an assistant director who will be responsible for several of the major functions of the organization, including staff management, financial management, and organizational planning. This person will work closely with the executive director and the organizing director to ensure the mission and goals of the organization are realized in an efficient and effective manner and that all staff adhere to our organizational policies and procedures. A successful candidate for this position will be passionate about slowing climate change and supporting social justice. They will excel in a small team setting and have a strong track record of leadership through collaboration.
This full-time position will be located in our Durham office and will report to the executive director. During the Covid-19 pandemic, all staff are working from home, but we expect to be back in the office when it is safe to do so. Occasional weekend work may be required for special events. Salary is commensurate with experience; cover letter should include salary requirements. Women, BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ are encouraged to apply. NC WARN is seeking to cultivate a diverse team that is reflective of the population of North Carolina so that we may better ensure that historically disenfranchised voices are lifted up in our work toward energy and climate justice.
About NC WARN
NC WARN is a 33-year-old, member-based nonprofit tackling the climate crisis and other hazards posed by electricity generation by watch-dogging Duke Energy practices and building people power for a swift North Carolina transition to clean, renewable and affordable power generation and increased energy efficiency. In partnership with ally groups and using sound scientific research, NC WARN informs and involves the public in key decisions regarding their health and economic well-being. Dedicated to climate and environmental justice, NC WARN seeks to address the needs of all people by intentionally including those often excluded from participation because of racism, sexism, classism, and other forms of oppression.
With the support of the executive director and organizing director, the assistant director would be responsible for:
- Staff Management – manage staff (coaching, development, discipline); participate in staffing decisions and manage hiring and training process; coordinate staff development (teamwork activities and professional training)
- Human Resources – run payroll; with executive director, determine staff compensation; manage retirement benefit payments, group health plan, vacations, etc.
- Financial Management – help develop and maintain the organizational budget; work with accountant on bookkeeping and reporting; manage fiscal sponsorship agreements
- Coordinate Fundraising – help develop and manage an annual fundraising plan, including grant research, donor cultivation, outreach to members (via newsletters, fundraising letters, etc.)
- Organizational Planning – help coordinate weekly meetings with the management team and full staff; maintain and implement annual operating plan; plan and facilitate annual staff retreats
- Board of Directors – participate and help coordinate bi-monthly board meetings
- Policies and Procedures – make periodic review and updates of the employee handbook and procedures manuals
- Equity & Inclusion – help coordinate ongoing program, including internal and external training, workshops, etc. in conjunction with our two E&I consultants and staff
- Minimum 8 years of experience managing staff in a nonprofit or business setting
- Clear written and verbal communication
- Strong interpersonal communications and relationship-building
- Project management
- Financial planning and management
- Organizational planning
Desired Skills + Experience
- Passion for climate justice
- Experience in environmental and/or energy policy fields is a plus
- Dedication to building inclusive, multi-cultural teams
- Highly self-motivated
- Fundraising experience is a plus
You may apply for this position by sending a cover letter, including salary requirements, and your resume to Julia Barros at email@example.com by 5pm May 21, 2021.